BlackStar Film Festival is a critically acclaimed platform for independent black filmmakers and films featuring persons of African descent. The only of its kind in Philadelphia, the festival showcased 40 innovative, independent films from around the world in its inaugural year. More than a showcase, the festival provides opportunities to network, panels and workshops that evoke dialogue, and question and answer sessions with prominent filmmakers. BlackStar Film Festival was founded in 2012 by artistic director and maven, Maori Karmael Holmes.
Although the deadline for entering feature films, documentaries, short films, and music videos has passed, BlackStar Film Festival is searching for groundbreaking and visually inspiring work that details the black experience. The screenwriting competition is still open for entries.
The deadline is Friday 7th June 2013. Your work will be featured among the best of your peers, as the festival is designed to create a memorable and impactful experience for attendees. Find details of how to enter the screenplay competition below:
Enter for your chance to win $2,500 to produce a short film based on your short screenplay!
Submit your short screenplay online by the June 7, 2013 deadline.
- Friday, May 3, 2013 – Submissions open
- Friday, June 7, 2013 – Official entry deadline
- Monday, July 15, 2013 – Second-stage finalists announced
- Thursday, August 1-Sunday, August 4, 2013 – BlackStar Film Festival (BSFF13)
- Before proceeding with the online form, please make sure your script adheres to the Rules & Regulations (including formatting) listed here.
- If you have problems using the online submission form, please try using another browser, or email email@example.com with a screenshot of your error message.
- After your submission has been uploaded, click the button to proceed to payment page to complete your order.
- Upload script in PDF format
Before uploading your script, please make sure you include the following:
- A cover sheet with only the TITLE of the screenplay
- Please Note: The author’s name must not appear on the cover or any other page of the screenplay. Judges must not be aware of the entrant’s name. Screenplays that include the applicant’s name on the cover or in the body of the screenplay will automatically be disqualified.
The festival will take place August 1-4, 2013, in Philadelphia.